MCS Staff News: A Time to Say Good Luck and Welcome
Every year at this time we prepare to say goodbye to a few members of the Manhattan Country School community and welcome some new members in the fall. This year some long-time members of the MCS community will be leaving us and we hope you'll join us as we wish them well on their next chapters.
The following will be leaving MCS, several after very long, memorable tenures. We thank them all for their invaluable dedication to our students and wish them well on their future endeavors.
- Susan Harris, lower school music. Susan is retiring after 38 years at MCS. Read more about Susan's time at MCS in the next issue of the MCS Courtyard magazine this summer.
- Lynne Iijima, reading specialist, is retiring after 29 years at MCS. Read more about Lynne's time here in the next issue of the MCS Courtyard magazine this summer.
- Ed Fersch, MCS Farm Consultant and Garden Supervisor, will be retiring after more than 30 years at the Farm. Ed's work at the MCS Farm made a huge impact on our agricultural practices and the lives of countless children. Read more about his tenure at the Farm in the next issue of the MCS Courtyard magazine this summer.
- Annie Pevear, MCS Farm nature teacher will be moving to Colorado at summers end. Annie joined the Farm in 2016 as our farm-based education intern and transitioned to full time faculty in 2017.
- Cosima Higham, 8-9s head teacher will depart this June. Kevin Hershey (current lower school resource teacher) will take over that position.
- Callan Angrisani, assistant in 6-7s Este with Laura
- Lesly Rodriguez, assistant in 4-5s Este with Paulo
- Maryam Gonzalez, assistant in 4-5s Oeste with Sarah
- Gillian Christian, assistant in 6-7s Oeste with Reese
Due to the growing enrollment in the Lower School, the following staff members will be taking on new roles in the fall:
- Max Fletcher and Rosalinda Glennon (current co-head teachers in the 7-8s) will each have their own 7-8s class.
- Nicole Joseph will move from 7-8s head teacher to 9-10s head teacher along with Julianna Trementozzi
The following people will join MCS as Assistant Teachers in the fall:
- Lindsay Casale: graduated from James Madison University in 2009 and is currently completing her Master's in Museum Education at Bank Street.
- William Tesdell: William graduated with a BA in Music from Bard College and will be completing his Masters at City College with an M.S. in Early Childhood Education.
- Rosanna Surun: Rosanna has had over a decade of experience in education and is currently continuing her education at Lehman College.
- Susannah Kahler: Susannah graduated from Tufts University with a B.A. in Child Study and Human Development and is currently at Bank Street for her Master's in Early Childhood Special and General Education.
- Njeri Gachathi: Njeri is retuning as an assistant after completing her student placement here. She completed her Master's in Early Childhood and Childhood General Education from Bank Street.
- Ariella Carle: Ariella is returning as an assistant after completing her student placement here. She completed her B.S. degree in Early Childhood Education from City College.
- Samantha Miller: Samantha has completed a Master's in Philosophy and Education from Teachers College Columbia, and she will be the new Lower School Resource Teacher.