MCS Activism Class is Going Viral
MCS Activism is going online. We will address different aspects of our campaign each week. For this week, please join the 7th and 8th grade activists as we push for our city and state to invest in mental health support for students in schools and for Congress to pass the PUSHOUT act.
We would like to invite you to post to your social media about why New York and the USA should invest in counselors in schools and improving the mental health of students. Younger children can post about why having caring adults in schools is important, or why they need adults they can talk to about their feelings or problems. You can share a fact from the attached fact sheet (I know there are no sources cited, but I provided all the source materials and forgot to make sure they cited them...). Let's stop investing in policing schools and instead invest in making schools safer by providing the help and support and connection students need.
In your post:
- Please mention the END PUSHOUT ACT H.R.5325
- Include the hashtags #couselorsnotcops and/or #educatedontincarcerate AND #mentalhealthcareforall and #ENDPUSHOUTACT
- Tag gov cuomo @nygovcuomo, mayor deblasio @nnycmayor, Ayanna Pressley @ayannapressley, and your rep in the House of Representatives as well as MCS_Activism
MOST IMPORTANT: Write something personal, from the heart. Don't make it a long political speech, just share something real that you feel.
OPTIONS FOR YOUR POST include:
- Write something short in marker and take a selfie (you can cover your face if you like, only share what you are comfortable with)
- Use the website Canva.com to create a post of your writing
- Write something longer and just take a pic of your writing.
- Write a message that takes up several pages and shoot a short video showing each page for long enough to read it.
- Shoot a short video of you reading your response
- Include family members (and pets) in the picture
For more information, read this Fact Sheet.
What is the PUSHOUT Act? Click here for a breakdown.