Manhattan Country School faculty and staff work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect, warmth and commitment to the vision and mission of the school. Our community of more than 50 employees, in New York City and at our 180-acre farm in the Catskills, mirror the diversity of our student body.
Current job openings are listed below. Application instructions are provided within each job posting.
Manhattan Country School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies.
Lower School Assistant Teacher Position
Manhattan Country School seeks full-time Assistant Teachers –– grades Pre-K through 2nd–– for the 2020-2021 school year.
Assistant Teachers work full-time with a mentor teacher. Assistants are hired for one year and may apply for a second year. Assistant Teachers report to the Director of the Lower School.
- Classroom management
- Designing interdisciplinary curriculum
- Providing differentiated instruction to varying learning modalities
- Writing progress reports
- Communicating with parents/guardians
- Preparing for and attending parent conferences
- Attending weekly faculty meetings and occasional evening events
- Substituting for mentor teacher or other Lower School faculty when necessary
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Enrollment in (or completion of) an accredited teacher training program, such as a Master’s program
- Commitment to working in a multicultural learning environment that necessitates flexibility, ability to work collaboratively, and a desire to enhance professional growth
To apply:Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Tiffany Tsung at email@example.com.
Part-Time Basketball and Track Coach
Manhattan Country School seeks a part-time winter and spring coach to help with the JV basketball and track teams from December through May. The PE department currently consists of two people who teach movement and gym classes during the day and coach the JV and Varsity teams after school. The growth of the program requires another person to help coach students and take them to games. The weekly schedule is somewhat flexible and will depend on the skills, experience, and availability of the candidate.
- Accompany teams to games after school and coach during the game (3-6 pm)
- Assist with coaching during JV practices after school (2-3 per season, 3-4:30 pm)
- Possibly assist with coaching at Varsity practices during Tuesday and Wednesday electives (2:15-3:15 pm)
- Monitor student safety while traveling to and from games as well as during play
- Coordinate dismissal plans with families to make sure all students get home safely
Strong candidates will have:
- Experience coaching at the middle and/or high school level
- Knowledge of basketball and track
- Ability to teach athletic skills and build team spirit
- First aid certification
- Patience, positive energy, and humor
- Flexible schedule in the afternoons
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Maiya Jackson, Upper School Director – firstname.lastname@example.org.
MCS supports teacher-training programs at Bank Street College, City College, New York University and Teachers College, Columbia University, among others, so there are opportunities each year for assistant, student and intern teachers in many of our classrooms, as well as at the MCS Farm. Résumés and cover letters for these positions are accepted in the early spring for the following school year, and may be sent to e-mailed to Ellen Porter at email@example.com.