Manhattan Country School faculty and staff work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect, warmth and commitment to the vision and mission of the school. Our community of more than 50 employees, in New York City and at our 180-acre farm in the Catskills, mirror the diversity of our student body.
Current job openings are listed below. Application instructions are provided within each job posting.
5th Grade Homeroom Teacher – Leave Replacement
Manhattan Country School seeks an experienced 5th grade homeroom teacher who brings passion and excellence to teaching and working with children. The 5th grade teacher is responsible for teaching math, language arts, writing, social studies, and activism and reports to the Upper School Director. We are looking someone available from December to April, with the possibility of staying for the rest of the school year.
Manhattan Country School (MCS) is a pre K-8th co-educational elementary school in NYC recognized for its strong academic program, racial and economic diversity, and an environmental literacy program that features a working farm in the Catskills. Committed to principles of equity and multiculturalism, Manhattan Country School is unique among NYC independent schools. MCS’ educational philosophy relies on educators who have strong knowledge of child development and can apply it to effective pedagogies of inquiry and learning, enjoy the exuberance and curiosity of children, want to help build a community where diverse perspectives are valued, and appreciate the life-long impact of working together for social and environmental justice. This is a dynamic time for MCS as we begin our 52nd year as a school and the third year in our new home at 150 West 85th Street, and continue to double enrollment from 200 to 400.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The 5th grade leave replacement:
- teaches math, language arts, writing, social studies (sustainability and ancient civilizations) and activism to 20 children
- collaborates with specialists to create a strong 5th grade program
- advises students and communicates with families, including writing reports and leading conferences
- accompanies students on two 1-week winter and spring class trips to our Catskills farm
- fulfills other various duties, including lunch and park coverage
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Full-time teaching experience
- Masters degree
- Strong knowledge of child development and progressive education
- Provide examples of innovative pedagogy to promote inquiry and learning in adolescents
- Command a range of teaching methods to meet different learning needs
- Integrate projector, laptops/iPads, Google applications, and other technology
- Take initiative, have a sense of humor, and demonstrate strong communication skills
- Prior experience in a diverse community or working collaboratively to engage youth in community-building, social and environmental justice, and activism is a plus
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Ellen Porter at email@example.com with “5th grade leave replacement” in the subject line. No phone calls please. We will begin reviewing resumes on November 1.
MCS supports teacher-training programs at Bank Street College, City College, New York University and Teachers College, Columbia University, among others, so there are opportunities each year for assistant, student and intern teachers in many of our classrooms, as well as at the MCS Farm. Résumés and cover letters for these positions are accepted in the early spring for the following school year, and may be sent to e-mailed to Ellen Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org.