Manhattan Country School faculty and staff work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect, warmth and commitment to the vision and mission of the school. Our community of more than 50 employees, in New York City and at our 180-acre farm in the Catskills, mirror the diversity of our student body.
Current job openings are listed below. Application instructions are provided within each job posting.
Manhattan Country School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies.
Lower School Assistant Teacher Position
Manhattan Country School seeks full-time Assistant Teachers –– grades Pre-K through 2nd–– for the 2020-2021 school year.
Assistant Teachers work full-time with a mentor teacher. Assistants are hired for one year and may apply for a second year. Assistant Teachers report to the Director of the Lower School.
- Classroom management
- Designing interdisciplinary curriculum
- Providing differentiated instruction to varying learning modalities
- Writing progress reports
- Communicating with parents/guardians
- Preparing for and attending parent conferences
- Attending weekly faculty meetings and occasional evening events
- Substituting for mentor teacher or other Lower School faculty when necessary
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Enrollment in (or completion of) an accredited teacher training program, such as a Master’s program
- Commitment to working in a multicultural learning environment that necessitates flexibility, ability to work collaboratively, and a desire to enhance professional growth
To apply:Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Tiffany Tsung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lower School Resource Teacher 2020-2021
Manhattan Country School seeks a Full-time Resource Teacher starting in September, 2020. working with 4-5s/pre-K through 9-10s/4th Grade to support the children and teachers in the various classrooms in the Lower School. This position offers a unique opportunity to work with a range of children while helping to implement the curriculum throughout the school. Specific areas of interest and expertise on the part of the Resource Teacher often are woven into the schedule on a regular basis. The Resource teacher reports to the Lower School Director.
The role of the Resource Teacher includes the following:
- Support Lower School teachers in classrooms
- Lead classes as needed
- Work with children individually and in small groups to provide support in all subjects
- Collaborate with MCS Support Team to help students with learning accommodations
- Support special curricular projects
- Accompany a Farm trip with 8-9s or 9-10s once in the year
- Help with lunch duty, park time, arrival and dismissal
- Assist Lower School administrative staff with various tasks
Ideal candidates will be flexible, take initiative, be collaborative, enjoy working with all ages of children, be comfortable with technology, demonstrate strong listening and communication skills, have experience working in a diverse community and with elementary school students, and be open to learning. A Bachelor’s degree and experience in teaching are required; working to support students with diverse learning styles is preferred.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Tiffany Tsung at email@example.com.
Part-Time Basketball and Track Coach
Manhattan Country School seeks a part-time winter and spring coach to help with the JV basketball and track teams from December through May. The PE department currently consists of two people who teach movement and gym classes during the day and coach the JV and Varsity teams after school. The growth of the program requires another person to help coach students and take them to games. The weekly schedule is somewhat flexible and will depend on the skills, experience, and availability of the candidate.
- Accompany teams to games after school and coach during the game (3-6 pm)
- Assist with coaching during JV practices after school (2-3 per season, 3-4:30 pm)
- Possibly assist with coaching at Varsity practices during Tuesday and Wednesday electives (2:15-3:15 pm)
- Monitor student safety while traveling to and from games as well as during play
- Coordinate dismissal plans with families to make sure all students get home safely
Strong candidates will have:
- Experience coaching at the middle and/or high school level
- Knowledge of basketball and track
- Ability to teach athletic skills and build team spirit
- First aid certification
- Patience, positive energy, and humor
- Flexible schedule in the afternoons
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Maiya Jackson, Upper School Director – firstname.lastname@example.org.
5th Grade Teacher
Manhattan Country School seeks an experienced 5th grade teacher who brings passion and skill to teaching and working with children, as well as a commitment to social justice, equity, and diversity. MCS is in the process of doubling enrollment, and this will be the first time that we have two sections of 5th grade. The two 5th grade teachers will split the responsibilities of teaching math, language arts, science, and social studies, with each leading two academic subjects in addition to community building and homeroom responsibilities. The 5th grade teacher reports to the Upper School Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
The 5th grade teacher:
- teaches two of the four subjects: math, language arts, social studies (sustainability and ancient civilizations) and science
- advises students and communicates with families, including writing reports and leading conferences
- accompanies students on three 1-week fall, winter, and spring class trips to our Catskills farm
- fulfills other various duties, including lunch and park coverage
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Full-time teaching experience
- Master’s degree preferred
- Strong knowledge of child development and progressive education
- Provide examples of innovative pedagogy to promote inquiry and learning in adolescents and evidence of capable writing
- Command a range of teaching methods to meet different learning needs
- Integrate technology, including Google applications, laptops/iPads, smartboard/projector, etc.
- Self-starter, take initiative, have a sense of humor, and demonstrate strong listening and communication skills
- Prior experience in a diverse community or working collaboratively to engage youth in community-building, social and environmental justice, and activism is a plus
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Ellen Porter at email@example.com with “5th grade teacher” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
MCS supports teacher-training programs at Bank Street College, City College, New York University and Teachers College, Columbia University, among others, so there are opportunities each year for assistant, student and intern teachers in many of our classrooms, as well as at the MCS Farm. Résumés and cover letters for these positions are accepted in the early spring for the following school year, and may be sent to e-mailed to Ellen Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org.