2019 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative March Update
Changing the System: Marching Toward Justice - 2019 March Route
Manhattan Country School’s 2019 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative March will take place January 21st, 2019, 10:00a.m. - 2:00p.m.
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative March is a tradition at Manhattan Country School that demonstrates the passion and leadership of its students and the school’s commitment to achieving Dr. King’s dream of unity, peace and equity. View archived march publications and speeches here. On Monday, January 21, 2019, Manhattan Country School eighth-graders will honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by taking to the streets of Upper Manhattan to speak out about what they consider to be the most pressing civil rights issues of their time.
The theme of the 31st annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative March is "Changing the System: Marching Toward Justice," inspired by contemporary efforts to protect and preserve the Civil Rights we have installed as a nation, as well as to create even more equality in the 21st century. The march, which starts at 10 a.m. and ends at approximately 2 p.m., will follow a route that includes these stops:
- Frederick Douglass Circle - (10:00-10:20) (Central Park West and West 110th Street)
- Cathedral of Saint John the Divine - (10:30-11) (1047 Amsterdam Avenue at West 112th Street)
- Columbia University - (11:15-11:35) (Amsterdam and West 116th Street)
- MCS – (12:15-Onward)
Please follow our hashtag #MCSMLKMarch for route coverage and status updates.
We invite you to join us and bring family, friends and colleagues who are seeking a meaningful experience on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. We hope to see you Monday, January 21. Until then:
- Read and watch the speeches from last year’s march.
- RSVP and spread the word on Facebook.
- Follow and post about the march using #MCSMLKMarch on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Facebook Live Stream will be available!