- About Us
- At The Farm
- News & Publications
- Support Us
Manhattan Country School is a nonprofit organization that would not exist today without the generous support of parents, alumni, friends, corporations, and private foundations.
MCS’ mission-based commitment to economic, racial and cultural diversity and educational equity is sustained through a sliding-scale tuition policy which enables families to pay tuition based on their means.
How Sliding-Scale Tuition Impacts Our Financial Structure
About 75 percent of MCS families pay tuition on a sliding-scale. As a result, only 70 percent of the school’s annual operating expenses are covered by income from tuition and fees. The remaining 30 percent is raised by fundraising and requires over $1 million in outside support annually.
How Sliding-Scale Tuition Impacts Our Enrollment
The economic and racial diversity of MCS’ enrollment is unparalleled among independent schools nationally as demonstrated by comparison to the 2010-2011 National Association of Independent Schools survey:
Students of Color as % of Total Enrollment
- National Average: 24.9%
- MCS: 57%
- National Average: 0.07%
- MCS: 28%
Faculty of Color as % of Total Faculty
- National Average: 11.4%
- MCS: 40%
Administrators of Color as % of Total Administration
- National Average: 10.3%
- MCS: 53%
Percentage of Students on Financial Aid/Sliding Scale Tuition
- National Average: 20.7%
- MCS: 75%
To find out more about how you can support Manhattan Country School, please contact Akemi Kochiyama, Director of Development and Alumni Relations, (212) 348-0952 ext. 283 or e-mail: email@example.com.