- About Us
- At The Farm
- News & Publications
- Support Us
Big Night Out!
Big Night Out! is MCS’ annual spring benefit. The semi-formal event supports the school’s sliding-scale tuition program and features live music, dancing, dinner, our “Living the Dream” Mentor Award ceremony, and an auction. This year’s BNO! was held on May 4, 2013 from 6:30-10:30 p.m. at the Museum of the City of New York.
“Living the Dream” Mentor Award
Each year, MCS honors excellence and leadership in progressive education, arts and sciences, social and environmental justice and community activism. This year, we honored the MCS Farm Faculty and Program for more than 46 years of teaching children invaluable lessons about community and interdependence, environmental stewardship, renewable energy and the sustainable production of food.
About the MCS Farm
At the MCS Farm, located in the Catskill Mountains, students learn invaluable lessons about community and interdependence, nature and the sustainable production of food, energy and fiber. During farm trips, students plant, harvest and cook vegetables for their own meals, study solar production of the electricity that powers the farm, care for animals, make original textiles from sheep to loom, and learn about environmental issues and their impact on people and wildlife. This work helps to build self-confidence, instill a connection to local communities and the environment and provide firsthand knowledge of the natural world.
- More than 7,600 students from public, charter and independent schools in NYC and the local Catskills area have learned how to live more sustainable lives at the MCS Farm
- More than 400,000 farm-to-table meals have been served
- More than 40,500 gallons of milk have been produced
- AND, since our solar panels were installed in 2009, more than 64 tons of carbon emissions have been saved
How you can support
Anyone (over 21 years of age) is invited to attend Big Night Out! and there are a variety of ways you can support this important event:
• Purchase a ticket to attend!
• Bid on unique and fun auction experiences
• Purchase an ad in the Program Book
• Bring a friend. Big Night Out! is a wonderful way to introduce a special friend, family member or potential supporter to the mission, successful alumni and rich diversity of the MCS community.