Manhattan Country School faculty and staff work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect, warmth and commitment to the vision and mission of the school. Our community of more than 50 employees, in New York City and at our 180-acre farm in the Catskills, mirror the diversity of our student body.
Current job openings are listed below. Application instructions are provided within each job posting.
ASSISTANT TO THE LOWER SCHOOL DIRECTOR
Manhattan Country School seeks an administrative Assistant to the Lower School
Director to start July 2018. This is an 11-month position.
Manhattan Country School is a pre K-8th elementary school in NYC recognized for its
strong academic program, racial and economic diversity, and an environmental literacy
program that features a working farm in the Catskills. Committed to principles of equity
and multiculturalism, Manhattan Country School is unique among NYC independent
schools. MCS’ educational philosophy relies on educators who have strong knowledge
of child development and can apply it to effective pedagogies of inquiry and learning,
enjoy the exuberance and curiosity of children, want to help build a community where
diverse perspectives are valued, working together for social and environmental justice. Over the next 4 years, enrollment will grow from 250 to 400 students, still in pre-K through 8th grades.
The Assistant to the Lower School Director is a member of the administrative team,
providing direct administrative support to the director of the Lower School and benefiting
the school overall. The assistant will work on both short-term and long-term projects.
The ideal candidate is organized, flexible, versatile, and able to handle confidential
information with discretion.
Primary job responsibilities include:
● coordinating schedules and substitute coverage
● overseeing student records and proofreading student reports
● scheduling parent-teacher conferences
● preparing and editing a variety of communications to the community
● researching and monitoring professional development opportunities
● assisting with hiring and orienting new staff members
● monitoring Lower School staff evaluations
● hosting and tracking visitors to the school
● providing administrative support for weekly staff meetings and staff workshop days
● assisting with various all-school events
● coordinating childcare for parent-teacher conference days
● tracking lower school budget
● other administrative tasks as needed
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree
● strong communication skills, including excellent editing and proofreading abilities
● collaboration with colleagues
● proficiency with G Suite, Outlook, and MS Suite
● experience working in a school environment
● experience working in diverse community
● proficiency with Filemaker Pro or other database program
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and contact information for 3 references to Chloe Morin at
firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information about MCS, see
MCS supports teacher-training programs at Bank Street College, City College, New York University and Teachers College, Columbia University, among others, so there are opportunities each year for assistant, student and intern teachers in many of our classrooms, as well as at the MCS Farm. Résumés and cover letters for these positions are accepted in the early spring for the following school year, and may be sent to e-mailed to Ellen Porter at email@example.com.